Student raped, killed in Khed
- Srinagar on edge as Masarat Alam is arrested before Tral protest
- Modi should behave like a PM, not an RSS 'pracharak': Congress
- Vehicles set ablaze in Kolkata suburb after death of councillor's brother
- Yechury says Modi's frequent foreign trips to make up for years of not being able to fly
- VIDEO: The only Indian civilian to have done aerobatics on a Sukhoi
A first-year Commerce student was found murdered after a suspected rape attempt in Palu village in Khed Taluka on Thursday morning. Chakan police have arrested two suspects, including one of her relatives, from the village. A hunt is on for one more suspect.
Chakan police said the 17-year-old girl went missing on the morning of September 5 after she left for college from home early morning.
When she did not return in the evening, the family members searched for her and lodged a complaint late in the night.
The arrested suspects have been identified as Anil Baburam Kedari and Anil Raghunath Chavan. Surprisingly, Chavan was with the family members when they were searching for the victim. The two were arrested by police on Thursday afternoon.
Police arrested Kedari after his slippers were found near the spot and Chavan after a woman told them that he had stopped her from going to the spot when they were searching for the victim.
Sub-divisional police officer for Khed division B R Patil said, "They told us that they tried to rape her. The lonely spot and the way her body was covered point towards attempt to rape. More facts will come to the fore after we get the medical report. The father of the deceased said the girl had earlier complained about eve-teasing by some people, including the two."