Student run over by school bus
- Nitish Kumar's JD(U) recognised as principal opposition party in Bihar, BJP protests
- SC extends Setalvad's interim bail and asks her lawyer Kapil Sibal not to 'act smart'
- Aero India Show: Stunt planes collide in mid-air, pilots safe
- Swine flu deaths soar to 663, number of cases cross 10,000
- Maratha Mandir brings down curtains on Shah Rukh Khan's DDLJ
Kolkata:A class IX student of Garden Reach Central School was run over by the school bus in which he was returning home on Friday. As the bus with its door open tried to overtake another bus, Soumya Kanti Dhar was thrown out of the vehicle in a sudden jerk and was run over by the same bus near Tollygunge Phanri. A case has been lodged by the victim's father. The driver of the bus was arrested, while the helper was still absconding.
Patient falls to death from hospital bed
Kolkata:A 33-year-old patient died after falling from a bed at the SSKM Hospital on Friday. Bonani Patra, a resident of Ramnagar in East Midnapore district, was admitted in the nephrology department. The relatives of Patra got agitated after she was declared dead. Police rushed to the spot and tried to pacify them. The body was later handed over to the kin and there was no post mortem of the body as no case was filed. The hospital has formed a three-member committee to probe the death.
Metro wants fare hike
Facing acute losses, Metro Rail Kolkata has sought a hike in passenger fares to reach a "no- profit-no-loss" situation. Metro Rail Kolkata general manager Radhey Shyam said, "There is a need for revision in the fare structure, which have not been changed in the past 10-12 years."