Students force Markandey Katju on backfoot over 'fool' remark
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
Press Council Chairman Markandey Katju today clarified that his remark '90 per cent of Indians are fools' was meant to awaken people to the realities of social evils like casteism, communalism in the country.
"I have been misquoted in the press reports, but it is true that I have said that 90 per cent Indians (not all) are fools. My intention in saying so was not to hurt anyone but to awaken people to the realities, that is, the widespread casteism, communalism, superstitions, and other backward traits in the mindset of a large section of our people which is blocking our progress and keeping us poor," Katju today said in a mail to students Tanaya and Aditya.
The two students had reportedly sent a legal notice to the PCI chairman for making the remark.
"The figure 90 per cent is not a mathematical figure, it simply means that in my opinion a large proportion of Indians (and again I repeat, not all) are fools," Katju said.
"I never named you, nor any community, caste, or sect, and I never said that you are in the category of 90 per cent.
Hence I do not see how you are defamed," he added.
The PCI chief said he had made the remark not to humiliate or harm anyone but because he loved Indians and wished them to prosper for which they have to develop a scientific outlook and and give up casteism, communalism and superstition.
"So you see I made that statement not to harm the Indian people, whom I love, but to benefit them. The truth is sometimes bitter, but sometimes bitter medicine has to be given to an ailing person," he said.
Katju said he wished to clarify that he does not regard Indians as inherently stupid or foolish.
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2
- Rohith’s despair speaks of the collective failure of the teaching community
- Mehbooba Mufti has held out CBMs for the BJP-PDP coalition
- What if we cannot poke a little innocent fun at one another
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar