Sub-inspector held for graft
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
The Lucknow unit of the CBI today arrested a sub-inspector of the Railway Protection Force (RPF), Kripal Chand, for taking bribe from a businessman.
Chand is posted at the Pratapgarh railway station. CBI officials received a complaint from one Manoj Kumar Mishra, stating that Chand was demanding Rs 30,000 to favor him in a case in which the railway police had seized his tractor-trolley. The driver of the vehicle was also arrested. Acting on a complaint, a team of CBI went to Pratapgarh and arrested Chand when he was taking the money.
"We caught the S-I red-handed," said a CBI officer involved in the operation. He added that Chand was demanding money from Mishra to file a report in the court in his favour. "Initially, the S-I demanded Rs 50,000 from Mishra and later settled for Rs 30,000. He had called Mishra to Pratapgarh today for the money," said the officer.