Subsidy on electric bikes likely by next year
- Supreme Court to hear Sahara chief Subrata Roy's bail plea today
- Kejriwal finds âbakwasâ in Gujarat, faces protests himself
- PCâs dig at MoD: Learn from sub accidents, âspend wiselyâ
- Donât want Hooda aide, Bellary man in NDA: Sushma Swaraj
- Jat quota after riots hurt Muslim sentiments, says Alvi
Electric bikes are set to get a boost as the government plans to announce subsidy on electric bikes by next year. The move is aimed at reducing India's carbon emissions from petrol/diesel-run vehicles.
Naveen Munjal, MD of Heroeco tech said, "Already this proposal has been cleared by seven ministries and we are expecting a final clearance by next year which will thus bring the prices of vehicle down. Ministry of heavy industry, national council for electric mobility and many others have given a green signal on this demand."
Heroeco's e-Bike costs Rs 28,000. Though it is gaining popularity in Delhi and other states, the cost factor is a hurdle in making it available widely.
Vijay Munjal, Group Chairman, Heroeco added, "Apart from the e-bike even the awareness regarding riding a bicycle is also increasing. This is the reason that sale of fancy bicycle models which are in the price range of Rs 25,00- Rs 10,000 is increasing on an average by 30 per cent per annum."