Successive governments neglected Subhas Chandra Bose mystery: Anita Bose
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's daughter Anita Bose feels that the inquiry commissions set up to investigate his whereabouts following his disappearance in 1945 were handicapped for want of enough government support.
"I don't know how much support the inquiry commissions had received, but I think in some ways it (government) was supportive and in other ways they (commissions) also had their handicaps," Anita said.
Citing an example, she said the first commission was not allowed to go to Taiwan to investigate the so-called plane crash because it was politically "inopportune".
"I have a feeling that the last commission (Mukherjee Commission) did not really get prompt support in terms of documents being supplied," Anita said.
"That seems to be a bit sort of lagging, but I cannot tell you beyond that what they have written or what were their personal experiences," Anita said.
Since Bose's mysterious disappearance on August 18, 1945, three commissions had been set up by the central government since 1947 to find out his whereabouts after the alleged plan crash.
Although the first two commissions supported the theory of plane crash and the death of Bose, the third one set up in 1999 did not and asserted that on that day, no air crash had taken place in Taiwan.
The Mukherjee commission's final report was submitted in Parliament in 2006 which was rejected by the Congress-led UPA regime.
Asked if she believes in the plane crash theory, Anita said, "I think it is the most likely thing. I have talked to several eyewitnesses myself, especially some of the Japaneses eyewitnesses. And by and large this seems to be the most persistent theory."
She went on to say, "I agree that he is no longer alive."
Bose was 48 years old when he disappered.
The first commission - the three-member Shah Nawaz Committee, which was formed in 1956 by the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, had submitted that Netaji had indeed died in the air crash in Taiwan.