Suchitra Sen partially responds to treatment, meets Mamata
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits for BJP: Mohan Bhagwat
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Ailing actress Suchitra Sen, who has remained a recluse for the past three decades and is currently undergoing treatment at a Kolkata hospital, made an exception for West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday and met her.
After the 82-year-old actress, who is often compared to Hollywood legend Greta Garbo for being a recluse, expressed her desire to meet Mamata, the latter went to the private hospital where she is admitted following a respiratory tract infection.
Stating that Suchitra's health was now improving gradually, Mamata wrote on her Facebook page, "I am undoubtedly fortunate enough to get an opportunity to meet her in person. I am overwhelmed and proud to meet the legendary actress whose films we had seen so many times. It is an emotional moment""
The chief minister asked all to pray to God for Suchitra's early recovery and good health.Doctors attending to the actress said her health is now serious but stable as she has partially responded to intermittent non-invasive ventilation. The oxygen saturation level in her blood has improved compared to the previous days but it remains a cause of concern for the doctors.
Mamata had earlier visited the hospital on Friday and met her actress-daughter Moon Moon Sen, Dr Subrata Moitra — who is attending on the actress— and his medical team but left without meeting the actress at the ITU cabin.
"Later on, when she became little stable and came to know that I had visited the nursing home to enquire about her health, she expressed her desire to meet me. Dr Moitra communicated her desire and accordingly I rushed to the hospital and met her for about 25 minutes today," Mamata said.
Suchitra, who had refused the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2005 so that she did not have to make a public appearance, stays confined to her south Kolkata apartment. Only a handful of people, mainly her family members, have seen the actress face to face in the last 30 years.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express