Sukhdev Namdhari shot at Ponty Chandha's brother Hardeep: police
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Manmohan Singh didnât put wifeâs name in Rajya Sabha affidavit, says BJP
"Many other persons are also involved in this case and there is a deep-rooted conspiracy in the present crime. In this case, persons having assets of over Rs 1,000 crores is likely to be involved, in this conspiracy," Public Prosecutor Manoj Choudhary said.
"Custodial interrogation at length is required to unearth the entire conspiracy in the crime," he said.
The police told the court that they had to trace out his accomplices who had accompanied him to the crime spot but "vanished later."
"Other associates also, who are hiding in Uttarakhand or Uttar Pradesh, are to be arrested," the prosecutor said.
It also told the court that one of the accused arrested earlier too has disclosed Namdhari's involvement in the shootout.
Namdhari, who was with liquor baron Ponty at the time of his killing, was produced in court today after his arrest yesterday by a Delhi Police team from his residence at Bajpur in Udhamsinghnagar district of Uttarakhand.
Ponty and Hardeep, who had a ongoing property dispute, were killed when both sides opened fire at each other last Saturday at their family farmhouse here.
While seeking Namdhari's custody, the police told the court that a total of 26 criminal cases have been lodged against him in Uttarakhand between 1993 and 2009 and that eight of them are murder cases.
It said he has been accused of threatening people and the police had received several requests to cancel his firearms license.
Opposing the five-day remand sought by the police, Namdhari's counsel R S Mallik said the accused himself lodged the FIR in the present case and had also rushed Ponty Chadha to the hospital, where he was declared "brought dead."
He said, "How can he be a conspirator considering that the other FIR lodged in the case by Hardeep's driver Nand Lal does not show his involvement."
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit