Sukhdev Singh Namdhari wants own jail van, BJP says probe Arvinder Singh Lovely, Haroon Yusuf
- Haji Ali dargah will have to open doors for women after Bombay HC ruling
- My vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution: PM Modi
- Panel works on alternative to pellets: Balls of pepper, capsicum gas
- Scorpene leak: Firms to be blacklisted only in cases of clear criminality, says Parrikar
- Sheena Bora murder: Taped conversations emerging on media submitted in court, says CBI
Sacked Uttarakhand minorities commission chief Sukhdev Singh Namdhari, arrested for his alleged involvement in the November 17 gunfight at the Chhattarpur farmhouse where liquor baron Gurdeep 'Ponty' Chadha and his brother Hardeep were killed, has moved an application in a city court saying he wants a separate vehicle to transport him from Tihar Jail to court.
"Being a political figure, he may become a target for any person who may want to threaten him. We have requested the court that Namdhari be allowed a separate van to keep him safe," Namdhari's advocate RS Malik said.
Meanwhile, the BJP on Thursday demanded the resignation of Delhi ministers Arvinder Singh Lovely and Haroon Yusuf for their alleged links with Ponty and his brother. Call records of Hardeep's mobile phone reportedly show he was in regular touch with Lovely and Yusuf.
But Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said there was nothing wrong in people speaking to each another. "Some calls were made, but we do not know the context or content of these calls. There is nothing more for me to say about this issue," Dikshit said.
When Newsline asked SBK Singh, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime), if the two ministers would be questioned, he said the call detail records were not related to the case.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime) SBS Tyagi said: "We have not received any allegation or complaint pertaining to whom you are talking about."
The phone records, sources said, reveal that Hardeep spoke to Lovely several times before he reached the farmhouse on November 17 morning. The sources said Lovely was to mediate between the two brothers later that day at the farmhouse.
In the seven months till the day of the incident, Hardeep and Haroon Yusuf had exchanged 54 calls, the sources said. On some days, Yusuf first spoke to Hardeep and the next call was made to Lovely.
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully