Sukhoi fighter pilot's IAF officer wife commits suicide
- Third phase of LS polls ends: High turnout in 91 seats; Chandigarh tops with 74 per cent
- BJP sacks Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra; Ansari not to contest against Modi
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- Mulayam questions death penalty for rape, says 'boys make mistakes'
A woman officer in the Indian Air Force(IAF) allegedly committed suicide at her official quarters at the air base here, police said today.
29-year-old Squadron Leader Anandita Das, hailing from Kolkata, was found hanging from the ceiling fan at about 3 am by her fighter-pilot husband. Das was a ground duty officer.
Das, a fighter controller, was posted at the Jodhpur Air Force Station and living in the officers' quarters with her husband Squadron Leader V Nair, who flies SU-30 fighters. The couple moved to the IAF base five months ago, IAF sources said.
Defence spokesperson S D Goswami said a Court of Inquiry has been ordered into the incident.
According to police, Das was found hanging from the ceiling fan at her official quarters at about 3 am today by her husband who reported the matter to the officials and the police. No suicide note has been found in the house, police said.
Police said the body has been shifted to Mahatma Gandhi Hospital for postmortem.
"The officer said he found his wife hanging from the ceiling fan in her bedroom. Things will only be cleared after the report of postmortem and interrogation of her husband," a police officer said.
According to IAF sources, the couple had some arguments before they retired for the night.
"Police investigation is on and we will extend full cooperation to the police investigation," Goswami said.
Das was commissioned into the service in 2006 and got married to Nair in 2008.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi