Sukhu new working HP Cong chief
- LIVE: Western Railway resumes services, but Mumbai braces for more rain tomorrow
- Lalit Modi Row: BJP rejects demand for resignation of Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Hooch liquor tragedy: Death toll rises to 41; eight policemen suspended
- J&K govt prevents Sopore Chalo march, top separatists detained
- Petition against Tendulkar's Bharat Ratna admitted by Madhya Pradesh HC
Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu, a former Congress MLA, was on Tuesday appointed the Himachal party working president in the wake of Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh resigning from the post a few days ago.
"Congress president Sonia Gandhi has cleared his name on the advise of AICC General Secretary Birender Singh, who had held talks with state leaders," said a sitting MLA.
A two time MLA, 48-year-old Sukhu had lost the last Assembly election from Nadaun. He earlier had been the state NSUI and Youth Congress president.
Reports said Virbhadra had suggested three names for the post — Gangu Ram Musafir, Rangila Ram Rao and Harshvardan Chauhan. His detractors, however, pushed for Viplove Thakur, Asha Kumari and Sukhu.