Sultan of Oman to be R-Day chief guest
- Pathankot: PM Modi, Parrikar, Swaraj, Doval meet at 7RCR, operation still on
- Lodha panel: No BCCI official can be minister, legalise betting
- Earthquake measuring 6.7 on Richter Scale strikes N-E, 6 dead
- Delhi's odd-even rule, LIVE updates: First true test today
- Lt Colonel Niranjan's body brought to Bengaluru
India has decided to invite the Sultan of Oman, Qaboos bin Said Al Said, as the chief guest for the Republic Day parade next year, top sources told The Indian Express.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid will officially communicate the decision to Oman Foreign Minister Yusuf bin Alawi bin Abdullah, who will be attending the Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC) meeting in Gurgaon on November 2.
Sources said the Sultan of Oman will also be given the Jawaharlal Nehru Award for International Understanding, which was announced for him in 2004.
The Sultanate of Oman is a strategic partner in the
Gulf and an important interlocutor in the bilateral and regional context. Oman also accords high priority to its ties with India.
By according the status of chief guest at the Republic Day parade, New Delhi shows the importance it attaches to a particular country.