Sunil Jakhar: Allotted two official residences but living in own house
- Hyderabad: Body of Dalit student, who committed suicide, sent for autopsy amid protests
- 'Dawood of Tamil Nadu' says ready to return from Dubai for 'fair trial'
- Ink attack on Kejriwal sparks war of words, AAP calls it a BJP conspiracy
- 'Widespread' match-fixing allegations hit tennis, Grand Slam winners involved
- In fact: Why Nawaz won’t buck the Pak army on Pathankot
The Leader of Opposition in Punjab, Sunil Jakhar, has been allotted two official residences, but he still lives in his own house in Panchkula.
More than seven months ago, the Punjab government had allotted house number 46 in Sector 2 to Sunil when he became the Leader of Opposition. It was in 1977 that the then Akali Dal government headed by Parkash Singh Badal had accorded the status of a Cabinet minister to the Leader of Opposition. At that time, Balram Jakhar, the father of Sunil Jakhar, was the Leader of Opposition, and he was allotted a house and given an official vehicle.
Since this house was allotted to Sunil by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, he has been unable to take its possession as the former Leader of Opposition Rajinder Kaur Bhattal has not vacated it. So, Sunil has been living in his private one-kanal residence in Sector 6, Panchkula.
Sources said after Sunil approached Punjab Governor and UT Administrator Shiv Raj Patil, it was decided that house number 500 in Sector 16, Chandigarh, be allotted to him. This house was earlier allotted to the then Punjab DGP P S Gill. The administration decided that this house be put in the Punjab Chief Minister's house pool to be further allotted to the Leader of Opposition.
"Now Sunil Jakhar has been officially allotted two houses, one in Sector 2 and the other in Sector 16, as the state government has not cancelled the earlier allotment of Sector 2 house to him. But Sector 2 house is still occupied by Bhattal and Sector 16 house has been vandalised and needs repairs before one can move in,'' said an official.
It is learnt that Sunil has conveyed to Patil that he does not want the Sector 16 house after all the vandalism, and wants that Bhattal should vacate the house allotted to him earlier.
- Risk taking, experimentation and teamwork must also infect government machinery
- New mobile towers, better roads are making a difference in Bastar
- Raja-Mandala: Re-imagining the Middle East
- My birth is my fatal accident
- Yes, Delhi, it worked
- Reduction in interest burden could prevent more companies heading towards bankruptcy