Sunil Jakhar: Allotted two official residences but living in own house
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy arrested in Lucknow, says he was not absconding
- In countdown to polls, UPA govt pushes for dozen cabinet proposals to beat moral code of conduct
- BJP gets its first new ally as Paswan returns to NDA fold
- Donât run from big retail chains, face them, Modi tells traders
- Lokpal selection process wonât yield best candidate, says Fali, declines role
"The other question is that how can a UT Administrator allot a house to the Leader of Opposition as it is to be allotted by the Chief Minister from his house pool. The UT Administrator can allot houses to the officers and dignitaries of administration, and not Punjab and Haryana. The best the administration can do is that transfer a particular house to Punjab pool. To whom it is to be allotted will be decided by the state government. So, it is clear that Patil overstepped his brief,'' said an insider.
In the Sector 2 house, Bhattal has been living for the last 19 years and it has a swimming pool and other facilities. On the Sector 16 house, a total of Rs 1.16 crore was spent by UT Administration and the Punjab Police Housing Corporation.
And Bhattal cries political vendetta
A day after the Punjab government issued former chief minister and leader of the opposition Rajinder Kaur Bhattal a notice to vacate the official house, the Congress leader said she was being victimized.
Addressing media persons at her residence here on Sunday, Bhattal said forcing her out of her house amounted to political victimization and it is one in the series of tribulations that the Badal government had put her through.
"I have been slapped with two false cases, both during Badal's regime as the chief minister. Now the latest tool of oppression they are using against me is to throw me out of my house," she said. Bhattal, who has been reduced to being an MLA after Sunil Jakhar replaced her as the new Leader of the Opposition, has been asked to vacate the house that was allotted to her 20 years ago by the state government.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past