Surat DCP commits gaffe at tennis tournament: ‘Only eunuchs clap’
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- CJI bars advocate's entry in SC for 6 months for sexual harrassment
- April 22 Campaign roundup: Modi hurls a 'khooni panja' at Cong, says its responsible for 1100 lives in Telangana
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: KXIP beat SRH by 72 runs
A top official of the Gujarat police dissuaded university students in Surat from clapping as he felt that "only eunuchs clap". The comment came from N D Solanki, Deputy Commissioner of police (DCP) Surat Zone 2, when he went to inaugurate a four-day Inter University Tennis Tournament, organised by Veer Narmad South Gujarat University (VNSGU) on Saturday.
The incident happened when hundreds of college students stood up from their seats and started clapping when Solanki, accompanied by DCP Archana Shivhare and VNSGU registrar J R Mehta, entered into the conference hall for the inauguration. After reaching the dias, Solanki demanded a microphone from the announcer and said, "I personally believe that there is no benefit in clapping. I believe only eunuchs clap. Whenever you go to attend some programme or an event, do something different, like raising your hands, instead of clapping."
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready