Surat DCP commits gaffe at tennis tournament: ‘Only eunuchs clap’
- Dawood's hanging would have satisfied us more: Family of 93 blasts victim
- Terrorists who attacked Gurdaspur came from Pakistan: Rajnath Singh
- Nation bids tearful adieu to former president APJ Abdul Kalam
- Why this unseemly hurry in Yakub execution: Prashant Bhushan
- Taliban confirms leader Mullah Omar's death, new successor already in place
A top official of the Gujarat police dissuaded university students in Surat from clapping as he felt that "only eunuchs clap". The comment came from N D Solanki, Deputy Commissioner of police (DCP) Surat Zone 2, when he went to inaugurate a four-day Inter University Tennis Tournament, organised by Veer Narmad South Gujarat University (VNSGU) on Saturday.
The incident happened when hundreds of college students stood up from their seats and started clapping when Solanki, accompanied by DCP Archana Shivhare and VNSGU registrar J R Mehta, entered into the conference hall for the inauguration. After reaching the dias, Solanki demanded a microphone from the announcer and said, "I personally believe that there is no benefit in clapping. I believe only eunuchs clap. Whenever you go to attend some programme or an event, do something different, like raising your hands, instead of clapping."