Surat police to question Asaram Bapu in bribe case
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Surat police plans to question Asaram Bapu whom it suspects, had a role in the conspiracy to bribe police and other institutions to weaken the case against his son Narayan Sai who is in custody for alleged sexual assault.
The police had stumbled upon a bribery racket of Rs 13 crore of which it recovered Rs eight crore and arrested sub inspector CM Kumbhani of Surat crime branch, a builder and mall owner Ketan Patel, Uday Sanghani, a close associate of Sai and Dhiraj Patel, a car driver Thursday night.
Sources in the police department claimed that Sai while in Surat police crime branch custody custody during his remand period became very friendly with sub inspector Kumbhani. Under Sai's direction, Kumbhani met Uday Sanghani outside the police station and assured him that he is with Sai and can do favours for him, if he is paid well.
Uday apparently was not convinced and told Kumbhani that he would arrange for the money after talking to Sai.
Kumbhani smuggled Sanghani inside Sai's lock up on Monday morning and put up a tough police cordon outside the crime branch, not allowing anybody inside. Sanghani and Sai met about the monetary deal to crack up the judiciary, police, jail authorities and doctors of New Civil hospital. It was decided to split Rs 13 crore among them, after a telephonic discussion
with Asaram Bapu.
Sanghani then arranged for the money with the help of Sai's associates.
A complaint in this connection was lodged with crime branch police station by Assistant Commissioner of police J K Jhala. However Sai who is also accused in the conspiracy of cash deal would be re-arrested later in this case, as at present he is Surat police remand for sexual assault case, registered with Jehangirpura police station.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express