Surat range IG ‘thinks highly’ of lower-rung cops
- Turkey twin blasts: At least 86 killed, 186 injured; PM says attack could be suicide bombings
- I have become a victim of party's internal politics, says sacked AAP minister Asim Ahmed
- Now, Malayalam novelist Sarah Joseph returns her Sahitya Academy award
- Nawaz Sharif invites Hurriyat leader Geelani to Pakistan
- Indrani Mukerjea collapsed due to weakness; no drug overdose or poison, say jail authorities
Inspector general of Surat range has recently issued a notification decreeing that police constables (PC), head constables (HC) and assistant sub inspectors (ASI) be treated as police adhikari (police officers) and not police karmachari (staff) henceforth.
The notification, issued by IG Hasmukh Patel, has been circulated to superintendents of police of Tapi, Surat, Navsari, Valsad and the Dangs districts in South Gujarat.
"It is mentioned in Bombay Police Manual 1951 that all personnel in the police force should be termed as police officer. Nowadays, it is noticed that the lower-level staff are not being treated as policemen. They are not given due respect by their senior sub-inspectors.They should be heard and their advice should be taken into consideration," Patel told the Indian Express.
The notification further says that these police officers manning outposts can also organise small meetings with villagers and try to resolve their problems.