Suresh Kalmadi escaped IOC action by suspending himself: official
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
Scam-tainted Suresh Kalmadi escaped the International Olympic Committee's wrath by deciding to 'suspend' himself as IOA President, according to a top IOA official.
IOC did not impose any sanctions on Kalmadi despite making regular enquiries about what action the IOA planned to take against the disgraced administrator who was released on bail some weeks ago.
The decision was prompted by a letter that IOA acting-President Vijay Kumar Malhotra sent to IOC in which it was made clear to the world body that Kalmadi had suspended himself from the job to focus on his legal cases and the role of being a sitting MP from Pune.
The official said the letter was sent after an IOA meeting during which the body accepted Kalmadi's 'prolonged absence' from office. It then "requested Malhotra to continue as acting President for the remaining period with full powers as mentioned in the Constitution of the Indian Olympic Association."
The IOC executive board discussed the situation yesterday and its vice president Thomas Bach said there was no need for action since Kalmadi has effectively suspended himself and "in the end he's not in charge."
Bach said "the result is the same" so there is no need to impose sanctions against him or the IOA.
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon