Suryanelli case : HC moved for probe against Kurien
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
A petition was filed in Kerala High Court seeking a direction to the state and DGP to conduct investigation against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien in the Suryanelli rape case in the light of the victim's charges against him in the 17-year old case.
According to petitioner, Kamala Sadanandan, General Secretary of the Kerala Mahila Sangam, a wing of CPI, the victim, a minor girl was raped by 40 odd persons in 1996.
She has been complaining since 1996 alleging that Kurien was one of the perpetrators of the crime.
Her complaint to the then chief minister had resulted in it being relegated to DYSP, Kottayam. Despite such a heinous crime, no FIR was registered in view of the "political clout" of Kurien, the petitioner alleged.
The inquiry report in favor of Kurien cannot be taken into consideration as it was not based on an FIR or in terms of Crpc, it was stated.
The petitioner also sought to call for the records relating to the investigation, into the role of Kurien, if any, conducted by Sibi Mathews, who headed the Special investigation Team (SIT), which probed the case.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing tomorrow.
- Internal Maoist document targets 12 political leaders
- Forces didn’t follow SoP, says MHA
- ‘Teesta NGOs got foreign donations worth Rs 4 cr’
- Unable to pay to cheat, another student tries to kill himself in UP
- ‘Ignored’ by AAP, Mallika says won’t contest LS elections
- He didn’t want to lose a year, mother had mortgaged ring to arrange ‘bribe’
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express