Sushma Swaraj 'misquoted' Sonia Gandhi's speech: Congress
- Maharashtra: Building collapses in Thane district, several feared trapped
- Nation pays tribute to Abdul Kalam, funeral in Rameswaram on July 30
- SC bench differs on Yakub's execution, refers plea to larger bench
- 'Your indebted student': Kalam's advisor pays tribute to former President on Facebook
- Gurdaspur attack: GPS shows terror team, got drug cartel help too
"The allegations of the Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha are totally baseless. We want the Rajya Sabha to run. The motion (to discuss FDI) has been admitted there, he said.
Allies BSP and SP supporting UPA from outside today created repeated obstructions in Rajya Sabha, prompting an angry BJP to allege that the government has decided not to run the House because of its "number game".
Jaitley also demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is the Leader of the House, come and clarify whether the government wanted to run the House or not.
Alvi, however, said Congress is not to be held respnosible for the disruptions in the House.
Pointed out that members from Congress were seen countering Samajwadi Party's opposition to quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs in the Rajya Sabha, the Congress spokesperson said "we are in favour of this. We want that the SC/ST Quota in promotion in government jobs should happen".
He also attacked the Opposition for opposing FDI in retail just for the sake of opposing it.
"The arguments given by them have no facts. As an attempt was made to mislead people on Sonia Gandhi's speech, similarly attempts are being made to mislead people on FDI. BJP is in the habit of doing negative politics, a politics to mislead people," Alvi said.