Suspect held for extortion calls to Salman Khan's lawyer
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The police, on Saturday, arrested a man in connection with the extortion calls that were being made for the last few days to Dipesh Mehta, the lawyer for actor Salman Khan in the hit-and-run case.
The man, identified as Aryan Alimuddin Sheikh (27), was nabbed in Bandra, from where he made his last extortion call. Police said he was wearing the same clothes that he had worn when he visited Mehta's office. Mehta had complained to the Bandra police on Monday about a man visiting his office with a bouquet that had a live round of ammunition and a letter demanding Rs 2 crore. Mehta also allegedly received several extortion calls between Monday and Friday.
"The suspect was loitering in the area along with another man, later identified as Anthony William Dias (25)," a police officer said.
Sheikh has five cases of chain snatching registered against him so far, police said, adding that he was released from jail on December 4 after completing a 15-month sentence in a chain-snatching case.
Dias too is a history-sheeter who recently completed a five-year sentence for attempt to murder, the police said.
Meanwhile, officers said the person on whose instructions Sheikh was supposed to be acting had been identified and they were looking for him. They, however, refused to divulge his identity.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™