Suspect son trying to hide behind drug habit: Cops
- BJP nominee to Modi critics: You will soon be in Pak, not India
- China says no to Arunachal youth in India delegation, Minister says letâs call off trip
- Upar Narendra, neeche Bhupinder... new BJP slogan echoes in states of rivals
- Lok sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- On Rahul campaign, Sonia tells Amethi: âLike Indira, I gave my son to youâ
Raghuveer Singh, a suspect in the murder of his mother Sandhya Singh, is using his drug addiction to shield himself, claiming that he was under the influence of drugs on the day that Sandhya went missing and thus could not have killed her, police said.
Investigations have also revealed that a day after Sandhya went missing, Raghuveer's girlfriend Shreya Verma told some of his friends about her disappearance but Raghuveer allegedly said it was 'not a big deal'.
The crime branch has recorded statements of the people who Singh had spoken with soon after his mother's disappearance.
Raghuveer, who surrendered to the Crime Branch on December 17, was remanded in police custody till December 27.
"Raghuveer has claimed that he was sleeping under the influence of drugs for most of the day and did not answer the door when a visitor came calling," said a Crime Branch officer.
Investigations revealed that Raghuveer had gone to attend a party at a friend's place in Navi Mumbai a day after his mother went missing. One of his friends noticed that he seemed aloof and asked him if something was wrong. Shreya said Sandhya had been unreacheable for a day. The friend then offered to call off the get-together but Raghuveer allegedly said it was not a big deal and told them not to worry, sources said.