Suvaprasanna walks with Marxist, enters row
Painter Suvaprasanna, considered close to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, found himself in a hotspot after he took former CPM MP Sarala Maheswari to the Chief Minister's chamber at Writers' Buildings on Monday.
Sarala's husband Arun and his son-in-law Amitabh Khejriwal were arrested by police on charges of land grabbing after Trinamool Congress came to power in the state. It has been alleged that Arun and Amitabh illegally purchased land in the name of some employees of their company.
On Monday, Suvaprasanna was seen accompanying Sarala to the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) trigerring a major row as it has been reported that Mamata had no clue of her visiting the office. Suvaprasanna, on the other hand, said that he was told by the CMO to accompany Sarala to the CM's chamber. "An officer from the CMO telephoned me and asked me to take Sarala to Chief Minister's office since she is ill. I did exactly what I was asked to do," Suvaprasanna told The Indian Express on Tuesday. "I am being dragged into controversy though there is no fault on my part. Those who want to create a distance between me and the chief minister is running a concocted campaign against me," he added.
Sources said officials had no information that Suvaprasanna will take Sarala to the CM's chamber as "only he had an appointment with the CM". Suvaprasanna, however did not disclose what Sarala told Mamata.
- Several city college principals want junior colleges separated
- Pune rural police set up cell to coordinate poll preparedness
- Four chain-snatching incidents reported in city
- Maoists distance from Nachika, call his surrender plan ‘drama’
- NLC worker killed in firing by CISF man
- ‘Absconding mastermind of Bangalore BJP office bomb blast trained in Afghanistan’