Swami arrested for raping minor girl in ashram
An orphanage director was arrested for allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl inmate, police said.
Swami Poornananda (52) was apprehended under section section 376 (punishment for rape) of the IPC after the victim lodged a complaint against him, they said.
The accused is head of the city-based Swami Gnananda Ashram which houses an orphanage and old-age home.
He was picked up from the ashram premises along with a woman, police said.
It is suspected that the alleged incident might have taken some three months back as claimed by the girl, police said.
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment
- Now that Bihar’s women have voted, what about their economic rights?
- Sedition and political speech
- Indian channels have a lot to learn from the international coverage of 13/11
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia