Swami arrested for raping minor girl in ashram
- LIVE: Lok Sabha passes Telangana Bill, Jagan calls for bandh across Andhra Pradesh
- Your ministers used to throw dust, now they're using pepper spray to fool people: Modi to Cong
- Rajiv Gandhi's killers get relief, Supreme Court commutes death penalty to life
- Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
- Interim Budget 2014: Economy headache for next government
An orphanage director was arrested for allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl inmate, police said.
Swami Poornananda (52) was apprehended under section section 376 (punishment for rape) of the IPC after the victim lodged a complaint against him, they said.
The accused is head of the city-based Swami Gnananda Ashram which houses an orphanage and old-age home.
He was picked up from the ashram premises along with a woman, police said.
It is suspected that the alleged incident might have taken some three months back as claimed by the girl, police said.
Meanwhile, members of a tribal students association thrashed the accused alleging that he had sexually assaulted other inmates of the shelter as well.
- ‘I didn’t know that people pulled the trigger at the drop of a hat in this city’
- Minister’s caste remark sparks row in Rajasthan
- Sisodia seeks rollback of 4-yr course at DU
- Modi running ‘I, Me, Mine’ campaign, says Chidambaram
- Gujarat wants another bhavan, Centre says no
- CPM, CPI discuss poll strategy, skip Andhra