Swami arrested for raping minor girl in ashram
- Udhampur attackers backed by ISI, says JK Police
- Militants attack police post in Udhampur; 2 SPOs injured
- Cong rejects Sushma Swaraj's defence as "tear-jerker" full of "holes"
- Pulwama encounter: Story of a student who turned terrorist
- Kerala press owner refuses to print student magazine featuring PM Modi in 'top 10 criminals' list
An orphanage director was arrested for allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl inmate, police said.
Swami Poornananda (52) was apprehended under section section 376 (punishment for rape) of the IPC after the victim lodged a complaint against him, they said.
The accused is head of the city-based Swami Gnananda Ashram which houses an orphanage and old-age home.
He was picked up from the ashram premises along with a woman, police said.
It is suspected that the alleged incident might have taken some three months back as claimed by the girl, police said.
Meanwhile, members of a tribal students association thrashed the accused alleging that he had sexually assaulted other inmates of the shelter as well.