Swami Nityananda arrested in Himachal
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
Controversial self-styled godman Swami Nityananda, who was absconding for over a month in the wake of an alleged sex scandal, was arrested on Wednesday in Solan in Himachal Pradesh.
Nityananda and four of his associates were arrested from a house in Mamlig village under Akri police station area in Solan District in a joint operation by policemen from Bangalore and Himachal Pradesh, Deputy Commissioner, Solan, Amar Singh Rathore said.
He said Nityananda, who is believed to have been living in the Solan village for the last one month, and his associates have been taken to Arki police station.
Bangalore Criminal Investigation Department, probing cases filed against Nityananda, said it had recently seized some documents and articles during a raid on his ashram at Bidadi, about 35 km from here.
During the raid by a 15-member CID team, some documents pertaining to the ashram, computers and its hardware had been taken away by police, which had also questioned several ashramites, including Nityananda's brother Nityeshwara.
Police were on the look out for Nityananda who had allegedly indulged in sleazy activities and a purported video footage, aired by regional TV channels, had showed him in a compromising position with a Tamil actress.
Tamil Nadu police had registered cases against Nityananda for various offences under IPC including rape. The cases are under investigation by Karnataka police, to whom they were transferred to.
Nityananda had announced that he had quit as the head of his ashram in Karnataka and associated trusts to lead a life of 'spiritual seclusion'.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today