Swarna Shatabdi, Palace on Wheels to soon get vacuum toilets
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Chandrababu Naidu's TDP back in NDA; Modi says his rivals acting like 'WWF wrestlers'
- Narendra Modi not my protege, a brilliant events manager: L K Advani
- Pakistan bike-snatchers turned terrorists for IMâs âjihad liteâ
- Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran holds AAP govt Reliance FIR illegal
- The Build-UP: Shah's gameplan to conquer the state for Modi
Wary of using stinking train toilets? Now, get ready to use newly designed washrooms fitted with vacuum toilet system, like the one seen in planes, as Railways is planning to introduce it on the Delhi-Amritsar Swarna Shatabdi and luxury tourist train Palace on Wheels.
"Swarna Shatabdi is going to be the first train in Indian Railways to have vacuum toilets and 80 such new toilets will be fitted in the train as part of a green initiative undertaken by Railways," a senior Railway Ministry official, involved with the green toilet project, said.
Besides, Railways has also decided to replace existing toilets in Palace on Wheels, the New Delhi-Rajasthan luxury tourist train, with vacuum toilets for better sanitation and hygiene.
The introduction of vacuum toilets in Swarna Shatabdi is being undertaken on a pilot basis, the official said.
Railways have floated global tenders for installing vacuum toilets in the Shatabdi at a cost of Rs 25 crore, and five multinational companies, including two from Germany, one from the USA and one from China, have evinced interest in manufacturing and installing the system, he said.
Railways has got approval from civic authorities en route Swarna Shatabdi to make the vacuum toilet system operational, as it entails construction of safety tanks and sewerage link for disposal of waste.
The coaches will be fitted with vacuum toilets at the Kapurthala coach factory.
It has been decided that all luxury trains would be equipped with green toilets. "The exercise has begun for Palace on Wheels to equip the train with vacuum toilets," the official said.
The cost of retrofitment of vacuum toilets on luxury coaches in Palace on Wheels will be borne by the Rajasthan government, he said.
Environment-friendly vacuum-based toilets consume less quantity of water and flush the toilet very effectively in the shortest possible time.
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death