Swimsuits for Pi
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
Designers Shivan and Narresh create 1950s' style
swimwear for a sequence in the film Life of Pi
When Ang Lee's Life of Pi releases on November 23 in India, swimwear designers Shivan Bhatiya and Narresh Kukreja will be among the first to catch a show. While the Delhi-based duo are fans of Lee, that isn't the only reason for their enthusiasm. Bhatiya and Kukreja are eager to check out how a 10-15 minute scene in the film — one that shows locals lounging at the Piscine Molitor swimming pool in Paris — has turned out.
"Around 100 people, both men and women, have worn swimwear designed by us in that scene. Given that the protagonist is named after this swimming pool, the scene is quite an important one and we can't wait to see it," says Kukreja.
This film also marks their first film project. Kukreja recalls how stylist and costume designer Arjun Bhasin contacted them in November 2010 and asked them to create swimwear for the film. "Back then, we were working on our Spring-Summer 2011 collection. We were also sceptical because we had to make 1950s' style costumes," he says.
Since swimsuits in the '50s were made from cotton, Bhatiya and Kukreja — who are known for their cutting-edge lycra swimsuits — now had to make cotton swimwear. "We have done silk swimsuits earlier but this was totally new because cotton is not used today for swimsuits. Moreover, this was not modern cotton, so to speak. Rather, it was the furnishing fabric variety that we had to source to make the swimsuits look authentic," recollects Bhatiya.
After three months of research and consultation with Bhasin, they sourced the cotton from stores that sold old upholstery fabrics. "Our first three batches of swimsuits were sent back but the fourth and fifth sets fit the bill," Kukreja says.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today