Swine flu claims co-op bank MD, toll at 34
- Sheila Dikshit appointed Kerala Governor; Congress-RJD pact likely today
- You told us go to hell, says Supreme Court, sends Subrata Roy to jail
- For âcheeringâ Pakistan in India match, university in Meerut suspends 67 Kashmiri students
- Attacker, victim: 2 faces of Gujarat riots come together for âHindu-Muslimâ unity
- UP kidsâ killer disease spread through lice, expert panel finds
The managing director of the Gujarat State Co-operative Bank, P S Patel, died of swine flu late on Monday night. Patel's death marks the 34th death from the H1N1 virus so far this year in Gujarat.
Patel had been admitted to Nidhi hospital on Saturday night after catching a presumed flu. A colleague of Patel said the infection was confirmed on Sunday and on the following day Patel succumbed to the flu. He is survived by his wife, a son and two daughters.
As many as 154 confirmed cases have been detected across the state since January 1 with only 42 of them being discharged upon recovery from hospitals so far. The health department has also authorised 156 pharmacists to sell anti-H1N1 drugs.