Swiss woman gangrape: Police arrests five persons
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
Two days after a Swiss tourist was allegedly gangraped here, Madhya Pradesh police today arrested five accused and recovered mobile and laptop robbed from the victim and her husband.
"We have arrested five persons who raped the Swiss woman and recovered her mobile and laptop," Deputy Inspector General (DIG) D K Arya said.
The five arrested were identified as Baba, Bhutha, Rampro, Gaza alias Brajesh and Vishnu Kanjar.
"The sixth accused identified as Nitin Kanjar is absconding and we are hopeful of arresting him soon," he said.
The 39-year-old Swiss woman, on a cycling trip along with her husband, was allegedly gangraped at a forest area in Datia district, on the night of March 15.
Earlier, the police had detained over 20 people and on the basis of leads provided by them the arrests were made.
The woman has left for New Delhi, the IG said.
Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta said the incident was "unfortunate" but claimed foreign tourists were not following rules on informing local police about their movements.
"What happened is unfortunate for our nation. When foreign tourists come, they should inform the SP (Superintendent of Police) about their plans. This is the system but it is not being followed," he said.
The alleged offence took place at Jhadia village, eight kms from Datia town, around 9 pm on March 15, when the woman along with her partner was touring the region on a bicycle as part of their India tour.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed