Swiss woman 'gangraped' in MP, husband beaten up
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
A Swiss woman was reportedly gangraped at a secluded spot near Datia town, about 75 kilometres from Gwalior, late on Friday night.
The victim and her husband were on a cycling trip from Orchha to Agra. On Friday, the couple had pitched a tent in Jhadia village, about 300 metres off the main road, to spend the night. At around 8:30 pm, a group of eight men reportedly attacked the tourists. Four of them reportedly raped the 39-year-old woman. Her husband, 29, was beaten up. The couple was also robbed of their laptop, Rs 10,000 and other valuables.
The couple lodged a complaint at the police station in Datia town at around 11 pm. The victim was taken to a government hospital in Gwalior, where medical examination confirmed rape.
DIG D K Arya said the couple had arrived in Mumbai on March 13, and planned to tour India on their bicycles. He said the accused were carrying sticks and at least one gun. While a dozen suspects have been detained, police said the victim has not identified any of them.
Saying it was "most distressed", the Swiss embassy said its ambassador had contacted the victim. "Their health and treatment is the priority... The embassy has also been in touch with the local authorities and has requested swift investigation," it said.