Swiss woman 'gangraped' in MP, husband beaten up
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
A Swiss woman was reportedly gangraped at a secluded spot near Datia town, about 75 kilometres from Gwalior, late on Friday night.
The victim and her husband were on a cycling trip from Orchha to Agra. On Friday, the couple had pitched a tent in Jhadia village, about 300 metres off the main road, to spend the night. At around 8:30 pm, a group of eight men reportedly attacked the tourists. Four of them reportedly raped the 39-year-old woman. Her husband, 29, was beaten up. The couple was also robbed of their laptop, Rs 10,000 and other valuables.
The couple lodged a complaint at the police station in Datia town at around 11 pm. The victim was taken to a government hospital in Gwalior, where medical examination confirmed rape.
DIG D K Arya said the couple had arrived in Mumbai on March 13, and planned to tour India on their bicycles. He said the accused were carrying sticks and at least one gun. While a dozen suspects have been detained, police said the victim has not identified any of them.
Saying it was "most distressed", the Swiss embassy said its ambassador had contacted the victim. "Their health and treatment is the priority... The embassy has also been in touch with the local authorities and has requested swift investigation," it said.