Switzerland: 3 killed in workplace shooting
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Narendra Modi slams Jayanti Natarajan; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
Several people were killed on Wednesday in a shooting at a wood-processing company in central Switzerland, police said.
Police in Lucerne canton (state) said in a statement that the shooting occurred shortly after 9 am at the premises of Kronospan, a company in the small town of Menznau, west of Lucerne.
They said there were ''several dead and several seriously injured people' and that rescue services were deployed and the scene sealed off. They did not elaborate.
The local Neue Luzerner Zeitung newspaper cited a witness as saying that the shooter opened fire in the company canteen. Swiss news website 20min.ch, citing a reporter at the site, said police confirmed three deaths – including the assailant – and said seven people were injured, some of them seriously.
However, police in Lucerne, the local administrative centre, said they didn't yet have figures.
According to the local town council, Kronospan has some 450 employees.
It was not immediately clear who the shooter was or what the motive might have been.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18