Synthetic drug racket: Delhi businessman was in 'D' company, says Punjab police
- Elections 2014 LIVE: 60 pc voting in Bengal till 1 pm; Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
The kingpin of the Delhi-based drug racket Dev Behl arrested by the Patiala police was an alleged associate of Dawood Ibrahim and his brother Anees in gold smuggling. According to the police, further investigations into the Delhi-based multi-crore international synthetic drug racket have also revealed the staggering volumes of precursor chemicals and synthetic drugs smuggled by the racketeers which are worth over Rs.2000 crores in the international market.
According to Hardayal Singh Mann, SSP, Patiala, Dev Behl, the alleged kingpin in the drug racket, was in his 50s and started his criminal career in the early 1980s. For five years from 1983 to 1988, he was operating an international gold smuggling syndicate along with Anees, on the directions of Dawood Ibrahim. Mann said that Behl said that he had met Anees and Dawood many times during the course of the gold smuggling racket. He maintained social contact with Dawood Ibrahim even after their partnership broke in 1988. Behl is said to have even gone to Dubai to meet Dawood. This gold smuggling racket was operated on a massive scale with 8 to10 kg of gold being smuggled on a monthly basis, he added.
The SSP said that during interrogation Dev Behl has revealed that due to business differences with Anees and also due to the fact that gold smuggling became less lucrative, he quit gold smuggling. To convert the wealth acquired from criminal activities into white money, he started a sale/purchase business of second-hand cars. Mann said it was not long before Dev Behl again ventured into criminal activities and started operating a drug racket in the year 2000. Just like his gold smuggling, the scale of the drug racket too was huge and Dev Behl obtained precursor chemicals like ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, ketamine etc. in huge quantities and manufactured synthetic drugs like ICE on a large scale.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18