Synthetic drug racket: Delhi businessman was in 'D' company, says Punjab police
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
The kingpin of the Delhi-based drug racket Dev Behl arrested by the Patiala police was an alleged associate of Dawood Ibrahim and his brother Anees in gold smuggling. According to the police, further investigations into the Delhi-based multi-crore international synthetic drug racket have also revealed the staggering volumes of precursor chemicals and synthetic drugs smuggled by the racketeers which are worth over Rs.2000 crores in the international market.
According to Hardayal Singh Mann, SSP, Patiala, Dev Behl, the alleged kingpin in the drug racket, was in his 50s and started his criminal career in the early 1980s. For five years from 1983 to 1988, he was operating an international gold smuggling syndicate along with Anees, on the directions of Dawood Ibrahim. Mann said that Behl said that he had met Anees and Dawood many times during the course of the gold smuggling racket. He maintained social contact with Dawood Ibrahim even after their partnership broke in 1988. Behl is said to have even gone to Dubai to meet Dawood. This gold smuggling racket was operated on a massive scale with 8 to10 kg of gold being smuggled on a monthly basis, he added.
The SSP said that during interrogation Dev Behl has revealed that due to business differences with Anees and also due to the fact that gold smuggling became less lucrative, he quit gold smuggling. To convert the wealth acquired from criminal activities into white money, he started a sale/purchase business of second-hand cars. Mann said it was not long before Dev Behl again ventured into criminal activities and started operating a drug racket in the year 2000. Just like his gold smuggling, the scale of the drug racket too was huge and Dev Behl obtained precursor chemicals like ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, ketamine etc. in huge quantities and manufactured synthetic drugs like ICE on a large scale.
- Missing plane MH370: Australia plans to use system that found Titanic
- Nandurbar helps me win in Gujarat, it will now help me win India: Narendra Modi
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry