Taiwan to stage live-fire drill on disputed island in Soth China Sea
- Yogi Adityanath: Science graduate, cow campaigner, fighting cases, controversies
- Near Jim Corbett, forest dept uses JCB to move it, tiger ends up dead
- Letters for 2 years, SOS to PM, Election Commission still awaits EVM papertrail funds
- For Uttar Pradesh, BJP has a new spelling for vikas: Yogi Adityanath
- Tamil Nadu atheist killing: Police suspect group linked to blast accused
Taiwan's coastguard said today it would stage a live-fire exercise next month in disputed South China Sea islands, a move that could raise regional tensions.
The drill will take place on Taiping Island between April 9 and 11 in the Spratlys, a sprawling group of islands claimedin whole or part by Taiwan, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Brunei.
Among other weaponry, the drill will involve 40mm artillery and 120mm mortars, both shipped to the island last year to boost Taiwan's defence capability in the Spratlys, according to the coastguard.
Taiping is the biggest island in the Spratlys and has long been governed by Taiwan, which maintains a small coastguard garrison there.
Vietnam voiced anger after Taiwan moved the new, longer-range artillery and mortars to Taiping Island last year. All claimants except Brunei have troops based on the archipelago of more than 100 islets, reefs and atolls, which cover a vast area but have a total land mass of less than five square kilometres.
The potentially resource-rich sea, home to important trade routes, is a potential military flashpoint and there has been a string of diplomatic rows between countries with overlapping territorial claims in recent years.
- The unwritten rule on government formation in hung legislature is quite clear
- With his uncanny knack for keeping his finger firmly on pulse of Indian voters, Modi knows they want a different India
- Out of my mind: Memo for Rahul Gandhi
- Inside Track: Maun vrat?
- Going ahead, success of India, China will hinge on urbanisation and energy. They must share lessons
- With CPI inflation at near-historic lows, rate hike must mean, that the future will bring high inflation.