Taj Rambagh Palace named best heritage hotel
- Centre moves Supreme Court against HC order on President's Rule in Uttarakhand
- Arunachal Pradesh: 16 people killed in Tawang landslide
- ‘Falsehood’ and ‘irrelevant’: How Centre’s case collapsed in Uttarakhand High Court
- South Kashmir hears echo from Dadri Killing to Bharat Mata ki Jai
- Record 35% jump pushes 60-plus population to an all-time high
Taj Rambagh Palace in Jaipur and Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur were named the two best heritage hotels by TripAdvisor.
The travel site announced the winners of its 2012 Travellers' Choice Awards based on reviews and opinions of travellers from India and across the world.
Rajasthan, which has 18 of the winning 25 properties, emerged as the destination for heritage properties while unique hotels from Madhya Pradesh to Maharashtra and Gujarat to Kerala made their way to the winners list as well.
Trip Advisor said while Rajasthan gives you the chance to peek into the lives of one time royalty, you can not miss the colonial influences including the British and those of early of Dutch and Portuguese traders, which mark the design of some of these buildings.
From erstwhile palaces (or residences), home to royal families and maharajas, to colonial style cottages and Victorian shipbuilding yards, these hotels flaunt myriad architectural influences, tracing our history along the way, it said.
Commenting on the significance of these awards, Nikhil Ganju, Country Manager, TripAdvisor India said, "Not just from across the country, but travellers from halfway across the world come to enjoy Indian hospitality in these hotels where they can also experience the charm and grandeur of our rich history."
Six hotels from the Taj Group bagged an award while two Samode Hotels properties also made it to the list.
Top 10 of the Travellers Choice Heritage Hotels Award winners:
1. Taj Rambagh Palace, Jaipur
2. Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur
3. The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai
4. Jaiwana Haveli, Udaipur
5. Samode Palace, Jaipur
6. Ratan Vilas. Jodhpur
7. Emerald Isle - The Heritage Villa, Allepey
8. Rohet Garh, Rohet
9. KTDC Lake Palace, Thekkady
- In Tihar, more the murders, the greater your status; greater the loot, the bigger the status
- Donald Trump is not a uniquely American phenomenon, America is only catching up
- Deoband seminary is wrong. Muslims can and should chant ‘Bharat Mata ki Jai’
- Mercedes hit-and-run case shows the need to take road safety bill out of cold storage
- Arbitrarily invalidating private contracts, as with Bt cottonseed royalties, will dissuade investors
- When Ambedkar was framing the Constitution, RSS reviled both him as well as his ideas