Taliban link killing of 2 US marines in Afghanistan to anti-Islam film
- Bulandshahr gangrape: Minor victim moves SC, seeks FIR against Azam Khan
- NSG row behind them, Chinese FM Wang Yi holds talks with PM Modi, Sushma Swaraj
- Behind attack on BJP leader Brijpal Teotia: 8 murders & a plot
- Appointment of judges: Break logjam soon or we will step in, CJI tells govt
- Sania Mirza-Rohan Bopanna one win away from Rio 2016 Olympics medal
Afghanistan's Taliban claimed responsibility on Saturday for an attack on a base which US officials said killed two American Marines, saying it was in response to a film that insults the Prophet Mohammad.
Camp Bastion, in southern Helmand province, came under mortar, rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire late on Friday.
The assault also wounded several servicemen.
The aim of this attack was revenge against Americans for the anti-Prophet movie, said Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf.
US President Barack Obama has vowed to stand fast against violence which has been spreading since the amateurish film of obscure origin triggered an attack on the U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi that killed the ambassador and three other Americans on Sept. 11.
Britain's Prince Harry was at Camp Bastion at the time of the attack, but was unharmed.
Earlier this week, the Afghan Taliban said they were doing everything in their power to either kill or kidnap Queen Elizabeth's grandson in what they dubbed their Harry Operations.
Prince Harry was never in any danger, Martyn Crighton, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said, adding that it would investigate whether his presence on the base had motivated the attack.
ISAF has not confirmed the nationality of the two people killed in the attack on the base.
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages
- Instead of laptops and books in their hands these children had stones and grenades
- Gau raksha is seen not just as a desire but a duty by PM Modi's core support
- PM Modi has put the onus for whatever happens in Gujarat on Amit Shah
- Prachanda must address Madhesi aspirations and bring relations with India on even keel
- Inflation has dropped by a large magnitude, during Raghuram Rajan’s tenure as RBI gov