Talking point with Harsh Chhaya
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS; Lok Sabha elections battle between two completely different ideologies, says Sonia Gandhi
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi, says her focus remains Rae Bareli and Amethi
It's been quite a while since we saw you on television. Why haven't you done any new television serials in such a long time?
No role has really interested me enough to take it up. I did not want to do something where I would be required to just stand around like a cardboard figure and where the women would be crying all the time. For me to take up a role, it has to be well-scripted and fully rounded.
So I take it you're not a fan of the saas bahu type of serials?
No, I'm definitely not one. But if that's what the audience wants then we have to cater to that need. However, it's fair to say that while I don't watch any of these shows, if I do get a meaty role in one then I will take it up. We don't have much of a choice in that regard and after all, we do have to earn a living.
What was it that made you sign up for Ladies Special?
I liked my role in Ladies Special a lot as it's very realistic. The show concept itself is solidly grounded in reality. It's been really long since there has been such a good show on television.
You seem to be doing a lot of shows that have very strong women characters such as Hasratein and now Ladies Special. Why this trend?
I don't go out of my way to pick up roles in shows like that. It isn't a trend with me. It's a general industry trend; the television world is full of women and does cater a lot to that section of the audience. And in any case, we have to face the fact that television is female-oriented and films are male-oriented, that's just the way it is.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit