Talking point with Harsh Chhaya
- Head of al-Qaeda in Indian Subcontinent is from Uttar Pradesh
- Kejriwal vs Jaitley: What is there in the DDCA file
- Impact of Federal rate hike on India will be 'very minimal': Arvind Subramanian
- Once again, it’s SC cracking down to clean up air: diesel ban, truck tracking
- Technician sucked into Air India plane engine in Mumbai airport, killed
It's been quite a while since we saw you on television. Why haven't you done any new television serials in such a long time?
No role has really interested me enough to take it up. I did not want to do something where I would be required to just stand around like a cardboard figure and where the women would be crying all the time. For me to take up a role, it has to be well-scripted and fully rounded.
So I take it you're not a fan of the saas bahu type of serials?
No, I'm definitely not one. But if that's what the audience wants then we have to cater to that need. However, it's fair to say that while I don't watch any of these shows, if I do get a meaty role in one then I will take it up. We don't have much of a choice in that regard and after all, we do have to earn a living.
What was it that made you sign up for Ladies Special?
I liked my role in Ladies Special a lot as it's very realistic. The show concept itself is solidly grounded in reality. It's been really long since there has been such a good show on television.
You seem to be doing a lot of shows that have very strong women characters such as Hasratein and now Ladies Special. Why this trend?
I don't go out of my way to pick up roles in shows like that. It isn't a trend with me. It's a general industry trend; the television world is full of women and does cater a lot to that section of the audience. And in any case, we have to face the fact that television is female-oriented and films are male-oriented, that's just the way it is.
- Policies, reforms and infrastructure need to be redesigned
- India-Japan rail diplomacy is a setback for China’s One Belt, One Road initiative
- December 16 gangrape: Let’s be angry, let’s act
- A Saudi Arabia-Iran reconciliation alone can end Shia-Sunni conflict in West Asia
- Nobody minds their language
- Odd-even car proposal being enforced without evidence or cost-benefit analysis