Tamil Nadu leaders announce awards for CA topper
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
Political leaders in Tamil Nadu today praised Prema, daughter of an autorickshaw driver from the state, who topped the nationwide Chartered Accountant examinations, besides announcing awards for the girl.
Showering praises on Prema, Shipping Minister G K Vasan announced an award of Rs five lakh for her, noting that the girl's father Jayakumar, a native of Villupuram in Tamil Nadu migrated to Mumbai in search of a livelihood two decades ago.
"I personally feel that Prema's performance should set an example for others to study well", he said.
Vasan said he had ordered the Ennore Port to release the amount from its Corporate Social Responsibility programme to the girl. The minister said he had spoken to the girl's fatherand also congratulated Prema, who lives at Malad in Mumbai. Congratulating Prema, DMK president M Karunanidhi also announced a Rs one lakh award for her