Usain Bolt sparkles at London Diamond Meet
- SC stays release of all the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case
- Rahul Gandhi slams Salman Khurshid over 'impotent' remark against Narendra Modi
- Admiral DK Joshi was disturbed, requested me to accept resignation: AK Antony
- Narendra Modi beats Rahul Gandhi in popularity, says US think tank
- Lok Sabha polls: For Paswan & son, Gujarat 2002 is history for 2014
Usain Bolt returned to the site of his last Olympic triumph, winning the 100 metres at the Anniversary Games on Friday in his best time this season after recovering from a slow start. The world's fastest man failed to leave the blocks promptly but powered through the field at the Diamond League meet. He finished in 9.85 seconds at the stadium where he won three gold medals at last year's London Games.
On Saturday Bolt returned to the venue and anchored his Jamaican team to victory in the 4x100m relay ahead of France and Canada.
Bolt, who holds the world record in the 100 and 200, is looking to do even better at the athletics world championships in Moscow next month. "It (the start) was horrifying for me,'' he said. "I think it is just race rust and I just need to get a few races in. The rounds in the world championships will help that and get my legs freer and a bit lighter. Hopefully the coach will figure out what I need to do to get me more explosive out of the blocks, I guess.
"For the first time, I think, in a long while I was slightly nervous. Initially I was excited to come out because I knew it was going to be a big crowd. But when I got out there and I saw that it was ram-packed and the energy was still like the Olympics, it was just wonderful, so I was slightly nervous but I loved the energy of the crowd. It was beautiful and I love competing here.''
Michael Rodgers was second in 9.98. Nesta Carter of Jamaica took third, 0.01 behind the American. Kim Collins of Saint Kitts and Nevis got off to a fantastic start but finished fourth. Bolt did a lap of honor before the meet started and was driven round the track on a contraption resembling a rocket on wheels.
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight