Tata Steel in fray to buy furnaces
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- GMR pilots skip medical tests before flying Rahul Gandhi, to be grounded
- Supreme Court recognises third gender, glimmer of hope for gays
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia to address rally in Telangana; Smriti Irani to file nomination shortly
Tata Steel is among five global steel majors that have evinced interest in buying ArcelorMittal's two closed blast furnaces at Florange. Russian steel-maker Severstal, Italy's Riva, South Korean Posco and French Ascometal are also in the race, according to The Guardian.
The French government has until Saturday to find a buyer for the Florange furnaces and had contacted 117 steelmakers, of whom five have shown interest. However, talks were said to have stalled because the furnaces are not considered profitable enough without the rest of the Florange site.