Tata Titans Tributes
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Akhilesh Yadav tears into Narendra Modi bastion on maiden visit to Gujarat, says third front ready to govern
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs DD: Raina departs after scoring valiant half-century
Mr RNT's character and strength of purpose can be judged from his own words:
"If you hold a gun to my head, you have two choices, you either move the gun away or pull the trigger, because I will not move my head."
A look at his actions will prove that in a vast majority of cases, the gun was pulled away, because he has stood firm on his convictions.
Now Mr RNT lays down the reins of the Tata empire exactly on the date he had set for himself more than a decade ago, on his turning 75. Not for him the argument that he is "irreplaceable" (in many ways he is), and to make sure that he is not looked upon as the "Ghost Upstairs" in Bombay House, he is physically moving out. It is his way to ensure that Cyrus, his successor, does not have to live under his shadow.
I well remember RNT's desire, conveyed to us two decades ago, that we should always carry two names in our pocket. One, of "a person who can take over if you are knocked down by a bus later in the day", and the other of "a person who would be groomed to take over from you 3-5 years down the road".
He is retiring at the peak of his achievements; but I am sure he is proud of the fact that his group has achieved a turnover of over $100 billion, Tata now has a footprint across the globe and has made several big-ticket global acquisitions.
But most of all it is a coherent, well-knit group of companies bound by the ideals of Tata House – integrity, trust and the desire to give back to the community.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota