Tax tribunal appointments under HC scanner
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Yuvraj, Kohli power RCB to thumping win
On finding appointments of chairman and members of the Haryana Tax Tribunal (HTT) defective and made without consultation with the high court, the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday directed the Haryana additional advocate officer to seek instructions from the government for conducting a fresh selection process.
A division bench of Chief Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri and Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain was hearing a petition filed by Panchkula resident Vikas Miglani, who has sought the quashing of appointments of retired IAS officer K S Bhoria as chairman and Yudhavir Singh, Subhash Kaushik and Mukesh Lata Gupta as members of HTT in May-June, 2011.
Counsel for the petitioner, H C Arora, told the court that in May 2011, the chief minister had decided to appoint Justice S L Bhiana as the chairman and Rajender Ballah as member of HTT. However, within a few days, the chief minister changed his mind and appointed Bhoria as the chairman and Mukesh Lata Gupta as a tribunal member, he said.
Arora added that Yudhavir Singh, who is related to Haryana Advocate General Hawa Singh Hooda, was also appointed for a second term as member of the tribunal, though there is no such provision under law.
An inmate, serving life term in a triple murder case, on Thursday tied the knot with his girlfriend in the court premises at Jind. Sanjay, a resident of Sonepat district, married his girlfriend Mamta following a special three-hour permission given by court.
The wedding was attended by family members, besides a number of lawyers and court employees. In December last year, the girl had moved a petition before the court requesting permission for marriage.
- Ready for elections: Parties
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs