Taxi association head arrested for extortion
- Malaysia Airlines plane may have turned back before vanishing, says Air force chief
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
The chairman of a cab services association was arrested by the anti-extortion cell of Pune police crime branch for allegedly demanding Rs 3 lakh as extortion money and Rs 30,000 per month as hafta from a toll contractor in Khadki.
Sandip Krishna Khilare, 24, a resident of Hadapsar who heads the Lokmangal Cab Services Association was on Saturday arrested by the crime branch based on a complaint from a company that has been awarded the contract to collect entry tax in Khadki area.
Inspector Sachin Sawant of the anti-extortion cell said Khilare was threatening the contractor of the company that he would register a police complaint if he is not paid extortion amount of Rs 5 lakh which he later brought down to Rs 3 lakh after negotiations. The contractor paid him Rs 20,000 after Khilare threatened to harm him, police said adding that Khilare also demanded Rs 30,000 every month as hafta.
A team from the cell laid a trap and arrested Khilare when he had reached Holkar Bridge to collect the amount from the contractor. Khilare has several earlier offences registered against him, police said.