Taxi association head arrested for extortion
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- âWe gave instant justice, todayâs youth canât stand up for their mothersâ
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Biggest phase of voting kicks off across 121 seats in 12 states
The chairman of a cab services association was arrested by the anti-extortion cell of Pune police crime branch for allegedly demanding Rs 3 lakh as extortion money and Rs 30,000 per month as hafta from a toll contractor in Khadki.
Sandip Krishna Khilare, 24, a resident of Hadapsar who heads the Lokmangal Cab Services Association was on Saturday arrested by the crime branch based on a complaint from a company that has been awarded the contract to collect entry tax in Khadki area.
Inspector Sachin Sawant of the anti-extortion cell said Khilare was threatening the contractor of the company that he would register a police complaint if he is not paid extortion amount of Rs 5 lakh which he later brought down to Rs 3 lakh after negotiations. The contractor paid him Rs 20,000 after Khilare threatened to harm him, police said adding that Khilare also demanded Rs 30,000 every month as hafta.
A team from the cell laid a trap and arrested Khilare when he had reached Holkar Bridge to collect the amount from the contractor. Khilare has several earlier offences registered against him, police said.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18