Taxi association head arrested for extortion
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
Inspector Sachin Sawant of the anti-extortion cell said Khilare was threatening the contractor of the company
The chairman of a cab services association was arrested by the anti-extortion cell of Pune police crime branch for allegedly demanding Rs 3 lakh as extortion money and Rs 30,000 per month as hafta from a toll contractor in Khadki.
Sandip Krishna Khilare, 24, a resident of Hadapsar who heads the Lokmangal Cab Services Association was on Saturday arrested by the crime branch based on a complaint from a company that has been awarded the contract to collect entry tax in Khadki area.
Inspector Sachin Sawant of the anti-extortion cell said Khilare was threatening the contractor of the company that he would register a police complaint if he is not paid extortion amount of Rs 5 lakh which he later brought down to Rs 3 lakh after negotiations. The contractor paid him Rs 20,000 after Khilare threatened to harm him, police said adding that Khilare also demanded Rs 30,000 every month as hafta.