Taxi association head arrested for extortion
- Modi government softens stand on controversial Land Acquisition Bill, says ready for talks
- Gangster Abu Salem sentenced to life imprisonment in Pradeep Jain murder case
- Went to casino for dinner with family, apologise for my choice of venue: Moin Khan
- Ready to discuss issue of alleged stealing of Petroleum ministry documents: Government
- Salman Khan black buck poaching case: Jodhpur court defers verdict
Inspector Sachin Sawant of the anti-extortion cell said Khilare was threatening the contractor of the company
The chairman of a cab services association was arrested by the anti-extortion cell of Pune police crime branch for allegedly demanding Rs 3 lakh as extortion money and Rs 30,000 per month as hafta from a toll contractor in Khadki.
Sandip Krishna Khilare, 24, a resident of Hadapsar who heads the Lokmangal Cab Services Association was on Saturday arrested by the crime branch based on a complaint from a company that has been awarded the contract to collect entry tax in Khadki area.
Inspector Sachin Sawant of the anti-extortion cell said Khilare was threatening the contractor of the company that he would register a police complaint if he is not paid extortion amount of Rs 5 lakh which he later brought down to Rs 3 lakh after negotiations. The contractor paid him Rs 20,000 after Khilare threatened to harm him, police said adding that Khilare also demanded Rs 30,000 every month as hafta.
A team from the cell laid a trap and arrested Khilare when he had reached Holkar Bridge to collect the amount from the contractor. Khilare has several earlier offences registered against him, police said.