Taxi driver arrested in fake notes case dies in custody
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
Rafiq, remanded with accomplice Usman Shaikh (40), was found unconscious in lockup around 2.30 pm. He was rushed to Sion Hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival
Taxi driver Rafiq Shaikh (34), arrested on Thursday in Dharavi for peddling counterfeit Indian currency notes, died in custody Sunday afternoon, police said.
Rafiq, remanded with accomplice Usman Shaikh (40), was found unconscious in lockup around 2.30 pm. He was rushed to Sion Hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival. The body has been sent for post mortem and the death is being probed by crime branch.
Rafiq and Usman were arrested from a room at 1.30 pm and fakes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denomination with a face value of Rs 1.2 lakh were seized.
"We are checking his background. Records suggest he is from Malda, West Bengal. We are checking if he is from Bangladesh. The body did not show injury marks. I was told he complained of chest pain," said Satypal Singh, commissioner of police.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'