TDP MP Harikrishna resigns from Rajya Sabha over Andhra Pradesh bifurcation issue
- India's future cannot exist without the future of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Will appoint nodal officer to help Kashmiri youth across the country: Rajnath Singh in Srinagar
- Dec 16 Delhi gangrape case: Convict attempts suicide inside Tihar Jail, rushed to hospital
- Earthquake in Italy kills 247, toll may rise as rescuers continue hunt for survivors
- Rahul Gandhi twisting statement, must show generosity, apologise: RSS
TDP MP and son of N T Rama Rao, N Harikrishna on Thursday resigned from Rajya Sabha in protest against the decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.
Harikrishna, 57, said he met Rajya Sabha Chairman M Hamid Ansari this morning and submitted his resignation.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien informed the House that the Chairman has accepted his resignation.
Talking to PTI, Harikrishna alleged that the decision to bifurcate the state was taken to reap political benefit in favour of Congress in the coming Lok Sabha elections.
"By this decision, they (Congress) killed the Telugu spirit. They did it to make Rahul Gandhi next Prime Minister after the Lok Sabha polls," he said.
Striking an emotive note, Harikrishna, son of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N T Rama Rao, recalled the steps taken by his late father to keep the state united.
"My father stood firmly for the cause of united Andhra Pradesh. Now it is shattered. My conscience would not allow me to continue (as Rajya Sabha MP)," he said.
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully
- India’s dependence on China for medicine ingredients is a matter of concern
- Before Balochistan, India has supported some human rights causes and ignored others
- Olympics brought many smiles — and a little bit of rancour
- Harish Gupta case involves questions about the very nature of governmental decision-making
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways