TDP MP Harikrishna resigns from Rajya Sabha over Andhra Pradesh bifurcation issue
- Dadri reminds us how PM Modi bears responsibility for the poison that is being spread
- Kill policemen, never commit suicide: Hardik tells Patel youth
- From Arvind Kejriwal to Rahul Gandhi: Who said what on Dadri lynching
- Forensic lab rules out drug overdose in Indrani Mukerjea case
- Bihar polls: After Nitish Kumar's remark, BJP promises free petrol for scooties
TDP MP and son of N T Rama Rao, N Harikrishna on Thursday resigned from Rajya Sabha in protest against the decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.
Harikrishna, 57, said he met Rajya Sabha Chairman M Hamid Ansari this morning and submitted his resignation.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien informed the House that the Chairman has accepted his resignation.
Talking to PTI, Harikrishna alleged that the decision to bifurcate the state was taken to reap political benefit in favour of Congress in the coming Lok Sabha elections.
"By this decision, they (Congress) killed the Telugu spirit. They did it to make Rahul Gandhi next Prime Minister after the Lok Sabha polls," he said.
Striking an emotive note, Harikrishna, son of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N T Rama Rao, recalled the steps taken by his late father to keep the state united.
"My father stood firmly for the cause of united Andhra Pradesh. Now it is shattered. My conscience would not allow me to continue (as Rajya Sabha MP)," he said.