Teacher jumps off Metro station, dies
- G4 summit: PM Modi calls for UNSC reforms within fixed time frame
- Rajnath Singh snubs RK Singh after party MP alleges corruption in Bihar ticket distribution
- CBI officials raid Himachal CM Virbhadra Singh's residence; BJP demands his resignation
- Narendra Modi’s Silicon Valley swing: Who is wooing who?
- Delhi L-G Jung to be replaced? Kejriwal says won't help, unless PMO stops interfering
A 24-year-old woman died after she jumped off Preet Vihar Metro station on Monday morning. She fell to the street, 30 feet below, and was rushed to Hedgewar Hospital in Karkardooma, where she was declared dead, police said.
Karishma Narang (24), a mathematics teacher at Sai Memorial Girls School, lived with her parents and two younger siblings in Krishna Nagar. Police said they had not found a suicide note and hence were not sure why she killed herself.
"Karishma had taken leave on Monday, but she left home saying she was going to the school, which begins at 7 am. CCTV footage shows her waiting for a train to Vaishali. However, after allowing it to pass, she waited till the platform was empty. At 8 am, she walked to the end of the platform and jumped off. A PCR call was made at 8.10 am, following which we rushed to the spot," a senior police official said.
She fell at the base of pillar 95 and initially police could not identify her. "She was not carrying any belongings when she jumped. After we searched the platform, we found two polythene bags at the spot from where she had jumped. We then identified her and informed the family," the officer said.
A neighbour said. "I saw her leave in the morning. I came to know about her death through news on TV. I do not know why she did this."