Teacher, peon arrested for ‘raping’ kids in Bastar hostel
- Top General speaks on 2012 troop movement: "Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly"
- India slams Pakistan for allowing Masood Azhar to spew venom
- 15th Lok Sabha: Most disrupted session in history
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- Arvind Kejriwal writes to Narendra Modi on gas pricing, targets Mukesh Ambani again
The assaults allegedly happened till August. Peon Dina Nath would reportedly take the girls to his room and then rape them along with teacher Mannu Ram. An FIR has been filed against them.
"We learnt about the incident only yesterday. We took the statements of the girls and are now getting them medically examined," Kanker SP Rahul Bhagat told The Indian Express, adding that rape has been confirmed in the case of at least seven.
Bhagat admitted that it may be difficult to establish the alleged assaults as the last such incident reportedly took place in August. "Since the cases are very old, it is not very easy to have medical evidence related to rape," Bhagat said.
Kanker Collector Alarmelmangai D said: "We received a complaint on Friday that girls in that hostel were being sexually exploited. We immediately sent a team of women officers, they spoke with the girls and found that it was true."
Asked why it took so long to learn about the abuse, she said: " We have learnt that the girls first complained to the hostel superintendent but she did not take any action. She will also face action."
A probe team has been set up under IPS officer Neethu Kamal.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- The regressive state | The Indian Express