Teachers on poll duty, extended vacations for children
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
The summer vacations are set to be extended by another few days for the children in government schools, but their teachers won't be as lucky.
With the panchayat elections scheduled on July 3, and most of the teachers on election duty, the government schools will function normally only from July 5 instead of July 1, the official date of reopening of the schools after the vacations. As per the information procured from the education department, nearly 1.5 lakh teaching and non-teaching staff have been deployed on election duty.
Around 7,000 teachers, including 4,852 from secondary schools, have been deployed from Amritsar. From Gurdaspur nearly 43,000 teachers are on election duty while from Hoshiarpur the the figure is pegged at 4,000. Also, from Kapurthala 2,300 teachers would be manning the lection booths. In Nawanshar and Jalandhar around 6,500 and 5,000 teachers are on election duty respectively. At least 20,000 others have been roped in from Moga, Faridkot, Firozpur, Ludhiana, Ropar Bathinda, Mohali and Fatehgarh Sahib.
As per the sources, there are many schools in the state from where all the teachers have been deployed on election duty.