Teachers should instill moral values in students: Dr Johl
"Teaching is not merely a job but an on-going process. Like kindling a lamp, a good teacher ignites the minds of his students to unveil their hidden talents". These thoughts were shared by Dr S.S. Johl, an eminent agricultural economist and former Vice-Chancellor of Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana and Punjabi University, Patiala. He was giving a special lecture on 'Role of a model teacher' to PAU faculty at a special function to celebrate the Teacher's Day today. The function was organised in the Pal Auditorium of the University by Punjab Agricultural University Teachers Association (PAUTA).
Elaborating upon the qualities in a good teacher, Dr Johl said that besides teaching his subject, a good teacher must devote some time in the classroom to instill moral values in his students. "Since the students of today are the leaders of tomorrow, they are the building blocks of good society. We can not create a good society if we fail to produce good human beings", he remarked. "Give your students love, affection, watch their activities and feel concerned for your students", advised Dr Johl.
On this occasion, 40 teachers, who retired from the university during the last one year were also felicitated.
Presiding over the function, Dr N.S. Malhi, Director of Extension Education, said a teacher should be like a ladder on which a student could step on to rise in life. Describing teaching as the noblest profession, Dr Malhi remarked that a teacher may not earn enough money but he earns a respect, which one cannot buy with all the money. Teacher's Day should be a day of self-introspection, he added.
Earlier, PAUTA president Dr. M.S.Mahal welcomed the guest and teachers.
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes
- BJP Muslim leaders in state for ‘minority report’
- Short Changes: Stock markets to see cautious trading amid elections, IIP data: Analysts
- BJP men raise voters’ pledge for Modi via mobile
- Minimum balance: Better to maintain than risk high fees
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death